Biology of Disease
- Nessar Ahmed, Maureen Dawson, Chris Smith, Ed Wood
- Publication Date:
- October 25, 2006
- Content Details:
- 610 pages
Also of Interest
Biology of Disease describes the biology of many of the human disorders and disease that are encountered in a clinical setting. It is designed for first and second year students in biomedical science programs and will also be a highly effective reference for health science professionals as well as being valuable to students beginning medical school. Real cases are used to illustrate the importance of biology in understanding the causes of diseases, as well as in diagnosis and therapy.
- Summarizes the biological bases of common diseases.
- Discusses real clinical cases.
- Each chapter starts with a list of learning objectives and ends with a short summary.
- Case studies and end-of-chapter questions allow students to test themselves.
- Extensively illustrated.
- "Overall, the book is an excellent introduction to the subject of pathology, disease and laboratory diagnostics, which would be ideal for undergraduate students on biomedical science and related degrees." - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 2007
1. The Nature and Investigation of Diseases
2. Pathogens and Virulence
3. Infectious Diseases and Treatments
4. The Immune System
5. Disorders of the Immune System
6. Transfusion and Transplantation
7. Disorders of the Endocrine System
8. Disorders of Water, Electrolytes and Urate Balances
9. Disorders of Acid-Base Balance
10. Diet and Disease
11. Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Pancreas, Liver and Gall Bladder
13. Disorders of the Blood
14. Disease of the Cardiovascular System
15. Genetic Diseases
16. Membrane, Organelle and Cytoskeletal Disorders
18. Ageing & Disease.
Case Study Discussions
Answers to Questions
The Art of Biology of Disease
Please contact email@example.com for artwork in JPEG format.
E-book and Custom Publishing
The VitalBook e-book is available for purchase in its entirety or by chapter, or to rent for 1 year or 180 days, in the US and Canada from VitalSource.
Purchase or rent in North America
GARLAND SCIENCE CUSTOM PUBLISHING
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com.
Samples & Downloads
Click on any of the links below to download a printable PDF of a sample chapter.