Principles, Practice, and Application to Structural Biology
- Bernhard Rupp
- Publication Date:
- October 19, 2009
- Content Details:
- 800 pages | 448 illustrations
Also of Interest
Synthesizing over thirty years of advances into a comprehensive textbook, Biomolecular Crystallography describes the fundamentals, practices, and applications of protein crystallography. Deftly illustrated in full-color by the author, the text describes mathematical and physical concepts in accessible and accurate language. It distills key concepts for understanding the practice and analysis of protein crystal structures and contains examples of biologically-relevant molecules, complexes, and drug target structures.
Biomolecular Crystallography will be a valuable resource for advanced undergraduate and graduate students and practitioners in structural biology, crystallography, and structural bioinformatics.
- Written as a textbook for graduate-level courses and one-source manual for students and practitioners in crystallography, structural biology, and structural bioinformatics.
- Handsomely illustrated in full-color by the author, over 450 modern graphs and figures are used to explain complex subjects and draw from current examples in theliterature.
- Presents a problems-oriented, hypothesis driven approach.
- Addresses the needs of structural biologists by describing the necessary mathematical and physical concepts in an accessible, familiar language without neglecting accuracy.
- Contains numerous examples with a focus on drug target structures.
"Over the past 34 years Louise and I have often discussed the possibility of updating [Protein Crystallography]....However, this marvelous text by Bernhard Rupp provides everything that we could have done and more: indeed all that is required for the student of 2010. Biomolecular Crystallography is an impressive volume. Its 808 pages are beautifully written and wonderfully illustrated, many in colour....This book will be an essential part of the library of any department that claims to make contributions to modern biology....[and] a necessary addition also to the libraries of big pharmaceutical companies and small biotechs. This is a book to be enjoyed by all who wish to become structural biologists. I am also sure that many practicing structural biologists - even some who consider themselves mature - would do well to read its pages." - Tom Blundell, Journal of Applied Crystallography
"It is a masterpiece. It is the book which the MX community has been waiting for and it is an absolute must-have for everybody in the field." - Acta Crystallographica
PART I: FROM SEQUENCE TO CRYSTALS
1. Introduction: Preparing Your Study
2. Protein Structure
3. Protein Crystallization
4. Proteins for Crystallography
PART II: FUNDAMENTALS OF PROTEIN CRYSTALLOGRAPHY
5. Crystal Geometry
6. Diffraction Basics
7. Statistics and Probability in Crystallography
PART III: FROM CRYSTALS TO DATA
8. Instrumentation and Data Collection
PART IV: DETERMINING YOUR STRUCTURE
9. Reconstruction of Electron Density and the Phase Problem
10. Experimental Phasing
11. Non-Crystallographic Symmetry and Molecular Replacement
12. Model Building and Refinement
PART V: MAKING SENSE OF YOUR STRUCTURE
13. Structure Validation, Analysis, and Presentation
E-Books and Custom Publishing
AMAZON KINDLE PRINT REPLICA E-BOOK
Purchase in US ($) dollars
Purchase in UK (£) pounds
Purchase in Euros (€)
Purchase or rent in US ($) dollars
Purchase individual chapters in US ($) dollars
Purchase or rent in UK (£) pounds
Purchase or rent in North America
Purchase in North America
Purchase in North America
GARLAND SCIENCE CUSTOM PUBLISHING
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com
Samples & Downloads