Principles of Mucosal Immunology
- Society for Mucosal Immunology, Phillip Smith, Thomas MacDonald, Richard Blumberg
- Publication Date:
- April 17, 2012
- Content Details:
- 512 pages | 220 illustrations
Also of Interest
Principles of Mucosal Immunology is designed for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, researchers in immunology and microbiology, and medical and dental students. It presents the basic and clinical aspects of the mucosal immune system, focusing on the major components of the mucosal barrier—the gastrointestinal, upper and lower respiratory, ocular, and genitourinary mucosal immune systems. Topics include the development and structure of the mucosal immune system and its cellular constituents, host-microbe relationships, infection, mucosal diseases, and vaccines. Principles of Mucosal Immunology is sponsored by the Society for Mucosal Immunology and is written by internationally recognized leaders in the field.
- Presents the principles and mechanisms underlying mucosal immunology in a comprehensive and organized approach.
- Emphasizes the immunology of the gastrointestinal, genitourinary, and respiratory tracts.
- Editors and contributors are internationally recognized leaders in the mucosal immunology field.
- Full-color illustrations, photographs, and micrographs throughout complement the text.
- Includes separate chapters on immunobiology of the nose, uppper airways, and oral cavity, ocular immunity, and periodontal disease.
- Includes features such as a summary of key concepts and further readings.
- Figures from the book in PowerPoint and jpeg formats provided on the Garland Science website.
"Principles of Mucosal Immunology is an excellent book and can be recommended not only to students and professionals that wish to expand their knowledge in immunology but to the tutors of specialized immunology courses too. Furthermore, it is very detailed and clear enough to become one of the first books you reach for whenever a basic question of immunology arises." - Scandinavian Journal of Immunology
“The length of the book is optimal, covering most areas of mucosal immunology, and the depth of coverage in each area is appropriately proportioned to the available literature in the field. The quality of the color figures and diagrams are excellent. Expert contributors are internationally recognized leaders in the field of mucosal immunology. Although it has multiple authors, there is uniformity of style. In comparing this book with other textbooks of mucosal immunology, Principles of Mucosal Immunology presents not opinions of particular authors, but collective expert opinions of the Society of Mucosal Immunology with a Board of Counselors established in guiding the development of this book’s content, ensuring that the latest paradigms were presented. Therefore, this book represents the most up-to-date and comprehensive mucosal immunology textbook available…Principles of Mucosal Immunology achieves the aim of providing a standard textbook for students of all levels interested in advanced training in mucosal immunology. The book is well organized and has downloadable figures and diagrams to facilitate instructors teaching in classroom settings.”
I. Development and Structure of Mucosal Tissue
1. Overview of the Mucosal Immune System Structure
2. Phylogeny of the Mucosal Immune System
3. Immunological and Functional Differences Among Individual Compartments of the Mucosal Immune System
4. Secreted Effectors of the Innate Mucosal Barrier
II. Cellular Constituents of Mucosal Immune Systems and Their Function in Mucosal Homeostasis
5. Immune Function of Epithelial Cells
6. Intraepithelial Lymphocytes: Unusual T Cells at Epithelial Surfaces
7. Lymphocyte Populations within the Lamina Propria
8. Mucosal B Cells and Their Function
9. Secretory Immunoglobulins and Their Transport
10. Role of Dendritic Cells in Integrating Immune Responses to Lumenal Antigens
11. Intestinal Macrophages in Defense of the Mucosa
12. Mucosal Basophils, Mast Cells, and Eosinophils
13. M Cells and the Follicle-Associated Epithelium
14. Lymphocyte Trafficking from Inductive Sites to Effector Sites
15. Mucosal Tolerance
III. Microbial Commensalism
16. Recognition of Microbe-Associated Molecular Patterns by Pattern Recognition Receptors
17. The Commensal Micorbiota and Its Relationship to Homeostasis and Disease
IV. Genitourinary Tract
18. The Immune System of the Genitourinary Tract
19. Mucosal Immune Responses to Microbes in the Genitourinary Tract
V. Nose, Airways, Oral Cavity, and Eyes
20. Immunobiology of the Nose, Upper Airways, and Oral Cavity
21. Bronchial Associated Lymphoid Tissue and Immune-mediated Respiratory Diseases
22. The Ocular Surface as a Mucosal Immune Site
VI. Infectious Diseases of Mucosal Surfaces
23. Mucosal Interactions with Enteropathogenic Bacteria
24. Heliobacter pylori Infection
25. Viral Infections
26. Infection-driven Periodontal Disease
27. Vaccine Strategies for Mucosal Infections
VII. Specific Immune-mediated Diseases of Mucosal Surfaces
28. Celiac Disease
29. IgA Nephropathy
30. Mucosal Manifestations of Immunodeficiencies
31. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
32. Food Sensitive and Eosinophilic Enteropathies
For the following resources, verified instructors can visit the resource page for Principles in Mucosal Immunology.
The Art of Principles of Mucosal Immunology
Artwork in PowerPoint and JPEG formats.
E-book and Custom Publishing
AMAZON KINDLE PRINT REPLICA E-BOOK
Purchase or rent in US ($) dollars
Purchase individual chapters in US ($) dollars
Purchase or rent in UK (£) pounds
Purchase or rent in North America
Purchase in North America
Purchase in North America
GARLAND SCIENCE CUSTOM PUBLISHING
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com
Samples & Downloads
Download the Detailed Table of Contents from the book.