The Pursuit of Perfection
- Athel Cornish-Bowden
- Publication Date:
- July 14, 2016
- Content Details:
- 282 pages
Also of Interest
Book SummaryBiochemical Evolution: The Pursuit of Perfection, Second Edition by Athel Cornish-Bowden describes the relationship between biochemistry and evolutionary biology, arguing that each depends on the other to be properly understood. There are many aspects of evolution that make sense only in the light of biochemical knowledge, just as there are many aspects of biochemistry that make sense only in the light of evolution.
- This book tells the story of the biochemical mechanisms that make evolution possible, exploring how optimality (cost and benefit) influences the outcomes of evolution.
- Thoroughly updated, the book contains three new chapters on the failures of natural selection, defining life, and biological education around the globe.
- New biographical notes on less well-known scientists and their key achievements appear as marginal notes.
- Additional literature references are provided as footnotes, along with many new illustrations throughout.
1. Some Basic Biochemistry
2. The Nuts and Bolts of Evolution
3. Adaptation and Accidents
4. Metabolism and Cells
5. The Games Cells Play
6. The Perfect Molecule
7. Fear of Phantoms
8. Living on a Knife Edge
9. Brown Eyes and Blue
10. An Economy That Works
11. Failures of Natural Selection
12. A Small Corner of the Universe
13. Aspects of Cancer
14. The Meaning of Life
15. The Age of Endarkenment
E-Books and Custom Pub
AMAZON KINDLE PRINT REPLICA
Purchase in US ($) dollars
Purchase in UK (£) pounds
Purchase in Euros (€)
Purchase or rent in US ($) dollars
Purchase or rent in UK (£) pounds
Purchase or rent in North America
GARLAND SCIENCE CUSTOM PUBLISHING
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com.