Diagnostic Microbiology of the Immunocompromised Host
- Randall T Hayden, Karen C Carroll, Yi-Wei Tang, Donna M Wolk, Randall T. Hayden, Karen Carroll, Yi Wei Tang, Donna Wolk
- Publication Date:
- September 16, 2008
- Content Details:
- 500 pages
Also of Interest
A multifaceted approach to the detection and characterization of infections encountered in this high-risk patient group.
- Examines a wide range of approaches and challenges to infectious disease diagnostics for immunocompromised patients.
- Provides a broad explanation of the causes of immune suppression, the populations at risk for infections, and the various kinds of infections.
- Addresses crucial laboratory diagnostic methods for individual pathogens.
- Details a more systematic perspective on the affected organs in immunocompromised patients.
- Serves as a reference for laboratory professionals, infectious disease physicians, oncologists, transplant specialists, and other healthcare providers who care for immunocompromised patients.
This title is published by the American Society of Microbiology Press and distributed by Taylor and Francis in rest of world territories.
Table of Contents I. Hosts and Infections 1. Overview of Infections in the Immunocompromised Host, Lesia K. Dropulic and Howard M. Lederman II. Laboratory Diagnosis: Specific Etiologic Agents 2. Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Yun F. (Wayne) Wang, Molly Eaton, Audrey N. Schuetz, and Steven Nesheim 3. Cytomegalovirus, Cari R. Sloma, Thomas E. Grys, and Raymund R. Razonable 4. Epstein-Barr Virus and Human Herpesvirus 8, David T. Rowe, Frank J. Jenkins, and Heather R. Hensler 5. Herpes Simplex Virus, Varicella-Zoster Virus, Human Herpesvirus 6, and Human Herpesvirus 7, Paula A. Revell, James H. Clark, III and Beverly B. Rogers 6. Adenovirus, Michael G. Ison and Randall T. Hayden 7. RNA Respiratory Viruses, Michael G. Ison and Eric S. Rosenberg 8. Enteroviruses, James J. Dunn 9. Parvovirus, Marie Louise Landry 10. Filamentous Fungi, Gary W. Procop, Randall T. Hayden, and Glenn D. Roberts 11. Yeasts, Justin A. Bishop and William G. Merz 12. Mycobacteria, Nancy G. Warren and Gail L. Woods 13. Aerobic Actinomycetes, Michael A. Saubolle 14. Parasites, Lynne S. Garcia III. Laboratory Diagnosis: an Organ Systems Approach 15. Lower Respiratory Tract Infections, Karen C. Carroll 16. Genitourinary Tract Infections, Barbara L. Haller 17. Gastrointestinal Infections, Irving Nachamkin 18. Central Nervous System Infections, Igen Hongo, Karen C. Bloch, and Yi-Wei Tang 19. Bloodstream Infections, Cathy A. Petti, Hafsa Hassan, and L. Barth Reller 20. Soft Tissue and Prosthetic Device Infections, Xiang Y. Han 21. Hospital-Associated Infections, Fann Wu, Susan Whittier, and Phyllis Della-Latta IV. Future Trends 22. Future Trends in Diagnosis of Infections in the Immunocompromised Population, Donna M. Wolk and Elizabeth M. Marlowe